Day one has been quite the kick-off for this adventure! I spent the majority of the day cleaning and sorting through items. I cleaned out my closet, my drawers, my shelves, under my bed, you name it. With the help of my family, I was able to fill four trash bags and two suitcases with giveaway items. My act of service today was donating all my unneeded clothes, games, blankets, and other items to Deseret Industries, an organization that provides low-priced goods, job training, and humanitarian aid across the world. The picture below is me (sorry, I look a bit Vanna White in this one) with our items at the drop off. The workers at Deseret Industries were very appreciative of the donation.
I'd say I'm lucky to have such a wonderful life, but it's not luck. I am incredibly blessed to have a roof over my head, food to eat, and clothes to wear. One of my goals for this summer is to give others just a portion of the things I have. If I can make just one person's life better, I've reached my goal. I hope that my donation today does that.
I am absolutely exhausted, but I'm also very pleased. I was able to find order in the chaos of my life (well, my room), bond with my family, and help others all at the same time. Service has a way of helping you even more than it helps others, and I have definitely experienced that today. I can only hope that tomorrow will be even better.

No comments:
Post a Comment